THE PERCEIVED PARENTING STYLE AS A PREDICTOR OF THE GENERAL FEMALE COMMUNICATION STYLE
- perceived parenting styles,
- general female communication styles,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Communication is of great importance for all facets of human life. Its role in parenting is manifested in the transfer of values, beliefs, norms, and new skills from parents to the younger generation. As documented in the scientific literature, maternal parenting style has a greater impact on a child’s development than paternal one (Baumrind, 1991; Patock-Peckham, et al., 2006; Barton, 2012). Therefore, understanding the general communication style of women and its relations to the perceived parenting style of their mothers and fathers will allow us to study family dynamics from a more holistic perspective.
There is no consensus in the scientific community about the classification of communication and its connection to the perceived parenting styles among females. We aimed to study the interaction between perceived parenting style and general female communication style.
To this end, we performed quantitative research using the Communication Style Inventory (Vries, 2011) and the Experiences in Close Relationships – Relationship Structures Questionnaire ECR-RS (Fraley et al., 2011) adapted for the Bulgarian cultural context by Totkova (2014). In our research took part 281 Bulgarian adult females.
We have found that both the perceived mother’s authoritarian and perceived father’s permissive parenting styles are strong predictors of the general communication style of adult females. Furthermore, all four perceived parenting styles exhibited a strong correlation with certain communication styles. In conclusion, the perceived paternal parenting style is just as strong a predictor of general female communication style as the maternal one.
- Antonopoulou, K., Alexopoulos, D. A., Maridaki-Kassotaki, K. (2012). Perceptions of Father Parenting Style, Empathy, and Self-Esteem Among Greek Preadolescents. Marriage & Family Review, 48(3), 293–309. doi:10.1080/01494929.2012.665016
- Bakker-Pieper, A., & Vries, Е. R. (2013). The Incremental Validity of Communication Styles over
- Personality Traits for Leader Outcomes. Human Performance, 26:1, 1-19, DOI: 10.1080/08959285.2012.736900
- Barnett, M. A., Gustafssonb, H., Dengc, M., Mills-Koonced, W. R., and Cox, M. (2012). Bidirectional Associations among Sensitive Parenting, Language Development, and Social Competence. Infant Child Development.
- Baumrind, D. (1967). Child Care Practices Anteceding Three Patterns of Preschool Behavior. Genetic Psychology Monograph, 75(1):43-88.
- Baumrind, D. (1991). Effective parenting during the early adolescent transition. In: Cowan PA, ed. Family Transitions. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1991:111–163.
- Baumrind, D. (2013). Authoritative parenting revisited: History and current status. In R. E. Larzelere, A. Sheffield, & A. W. Harrist (Eds.), Authoritative parenting: Synthesizing nurturance and discipline for optimal child development. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Baumrind, D. (1991). Parenting styles and adolescent development. In J. Brooks-Gunn, R. M. Lerner, & A. C. Petersen (Eds.), The encyclopedia on adolescence (pp. 746-758). New York: Garland Publishing.
- Berne, E. (1961). Transactional Analysis in Psychotherapy. Eric Grove Press. Inc. New York. Page 47.
- Barton, A. L., Kirtley, M. S. (2012). Gender Differences in the Relationships Among Parenting Styles and College Student Mental Health. Journal of American College Health, 60(1), 21–26. doi:10.1080/07448481.2011.555933
- Buerkel-Rothfuss, N. L., Fink, D. S., & Buerkel, R. A. (1995). Communication in Father-Child Dyad: The Intergenerational Transmission Process. In T. S. Socha, & G. H. Stamp (Eds.), Parents, Children, and Communication: Frontiers of Theory and Research (pp. 63-86). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Chen, S. H., Zhou, Q., Eisenberg, N., Valiente, C., & Wang, Y. (2011). Parental Expressivity and Parenting Styles in Chinese Families: Prospective and Unique Relations to Children's Psychological Adjustment. Parenting, science, and practice, 11(4), 288–307. https://doi.org/10.1080/15295192.2011.613725
- Cochran, N. B. (2011). "Bowen Family Systems Theory and its Relationship to Teachers: Does Differentiation of Self Predict Teacher Job Satisfaction?". Dissertations. 419. https://aquila.usm.edu/dissertations/419
- Dalimonte-Merckling, D., & Williams, J. M. (2020). Parenting styles and their effects. Encyclopedia of Infant and Early Childhood Development, 470–480. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-809324-5.23611-0
- Freud, S., Strachey, J., Gay P. (1962). Ego and the Id. W. W. Norton & Company.
- Garrett-Peters, P., Koonce-Molls, R., Adkins, D., Vernon-Feagans, L., Cox, M. (2008). Early Environmental Correlates of Maternal Emotion Talk. Parenting Science and Practice, Volume 8, 2008 - Issue 2
- Gregg, J. (2021) The Cosmos Economy. In: The Cosmos Economy. Copernicus, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-62569-6_2
- Hartman, J. L., McCambridge, J. (2011). Optimizing Millennials' Communication Styles. Business Communication Quarterly, 74(1), 22–44. doi:10.1177/1080569910395564
- Honig, A. S. (1982). Infant-Mother Communication. Young Children, 37(3), 52–62. http://www.jstor.org/stable/42724213
- Horowitz, J., A. (1994). A Conceptualization of Parenting. Marriage & Family Review, 20:1-2, 43-70, DOI: 10.1300/J002v20n01_03
- Ivanov, M., & Werner, P. D. (2010). Behavioral communication: Individual differences in communication style. Personality and Individual Differences: 49 (2010) 19-23.
- Kobielski, S. (2002). Parent-child attachment and communication quality as indicators of psychological adjustment: preliminary implications for psychological maltreatment research. Master's Theses. 1172. http://scholarship.richmond.edu/masters-theses/1172
- Koerner, A. F., Fitzpatrick, M. A. (2002). Toward a Theory of Family Communication. Communication Theory (70-91).
- Maccoby, E. E. (1992). The role of parents in the socialization of children: An historical overview. Developmental Psychology, 28(6), 1006–1017.
- Maximo, S. I., Tayaban, H. S., Grace, B. Cacdac, G. B., Cacanindin, M. A, Pugat, J. S., Rivera, M. F., Lingbawan, M. C. (2011). Parents' communication style and their influence on adolescents' attachment, intimacy, and achievement motivation. Internal Journal of Behavioral Science, 6 (1): 60-74.
- Moghaddam, M. F., Validad, A., Rakhshani, T., & Assareh, M. (2017). Child self-esteem and different parenting styles of mothers: a cross-sectional study. Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, 19(1), 37-42.
- Patock-Peckham, J. A, Morgan-Lopez, A. A. (2006). College drinking behaviors: mediational links between parenting styles, impulse control, and alcohol-related outcomes. Psychol Addict Behavior, 20:117–125
- Power, T. G. (2013). Parenting Dimensions and Styles: A Brief History and Recommendations for Future Research. Childhood Obesity, 1 (14-21). 10.1089/chi.2013.0034
- Segrin, C., Woszidlo, A., Givertz, M., Bauer, A., Murphy, M. T. (2012). The Association Between Over Parenting, Parent-Child Communication, and Entitlement and Adaptive Traits in Adult Children. Family Relations, 61 (April 2012): 237-252.
- Spera, C. (2005). A Review of the Relationship Among Parenting Practices, Parenting Styles, and Adolescent School Achievement., 17(2), 125–146. doi:10.1007/s10648-005-3950-1
- Taraban, L., & Shaw, D. S. (2018). Parenting in Context: Revisiting Belsky's classic process of parenting model in early childhood. Parenting in Context: Revisiting Belsky's classic process of parenting model in early childhood. Developmental Review, 48 (2018): 55-81. Totkova, Z. (2014). Vazpriet roditelski stil i privarzanost kum znachimite drugi v ranna zrialost. [Disertacionen trud]. Bulgarska academia na naukite, institute za izsledvane na naselenieto i choveka.
- Тоткова, З. (2014). Възприет родителски стил и привързаност към значимите други в ранна зрялост. [Дисертационен труд]. Българска академия на науките, институт за изследване на населението и човека.]
- Vries, R. E. (2015). Communication styles. The International Encyclopedia of Interpersonal Communication, 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118540190.wbeic033
- Vries, R. E., Bakker-Pieper, A., Konings, F. E., Schouten, B. (2011). The communication style inventory (CSI): A six-dimensional behavioral model of communication style and its relationship with personality. Communication Research, 40(4): 506-532.
- Vries, R. E., Bakker-Pieper, A., Sieberg, R. A., van Gameren, K., Vlug, M. (2009). The content and dimensionality of communication styles. Communication Research, Volume 36: 2 (178-206).