How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The report presents for the first time in Bulgaria a psychological characteristic of convicted
persons from the organized crime, who are subject to effective punishment by imprisonment with the help
of the main scales of the Dark Triad questionnaire.
For the purposes of the empirical research, the short version of the Dark Triad questionnaire was used,
with 27 statements, 9 items each, of the personality characteristics studied: Machiavellianism, narcissism
The statistical processing of empirical data with SPSS includes frequency analysis, comparison of the Dark Triad average values with data of the convictions, the education and the age, as well as the calculation of Pierson‘s correlation coefficient. 30 convicted men were surveyed, 20 of whom were firsttime convicts, and 10 of the prisoners examined had two or more convictions. Of these, 56.6% were over 35 years of age.
Under the conditions of penitential isolation, forced cohabitation and total control, such as those in the
places of imprisonment, narcissism and psychopathy manifestations in the behaviour of the convicted are
limited and they are indirectly realized through Machiavellianism and the manipulative scenarios inherent
to it. The increase in the age of prisoners from organized crime further strengthens this trend.
The results of the study enrich the views on the psychological characteristics of offenders from
organized crime, which are important for the police and penitentiary activities implemented on them.
- Koleva, Sv. (2017). Balgarska adaptatsia na tamnata triada - kratka versia [Bulgarian adap- tation of the Dark Triad – concise version]. V: Sbornik nauchni dokladi ot 8 natsionalen kon- gres po psihologia . Sofia, 3-5 noemvri, 207-222. (in Bulgarian).
- Madzharov, E. (2006). Psihologichesko portretirane na pravonarushitelite, parva i vtora chast [Psychological portraying of perpetrators, first and second part]. Sofia. Ciela. (in Bulgarian).
- Madzharov, E. (2016). Penitentsiarna psihologia [Penitentiary psychology]. Sofia. Albatros. (in Bulgarian).
- Navaro, Dzh. & Poinйr,T. Opasnite lichnosti. Sofia. Iztok-Zapad
- Nedev. V. (2005). Organizirana prestupna deinost. Kriminalistichni kharakteristiki I metodi za razkrivane i izsledvane. Sofia.Feneya.
- Paunova, L. &Datsov, Pl. (2010).Organizirana prestйpna grupa. Sofiya. Siela.
- Pushkarova-Goyreva, Iv. (2011). Formi na organiziranata prestйpna deinost po Nakazatelnia Kodeks na republika Bйlgariya. Sofiya. UI Sv. Kliment Okhridski.
- Stankov, B. (2002). Organized crimi. Sofia. Albatross.
- Stankov, B. (2003). Kriminologia. Vidove prestapnost [Criminology. Types of Crime]. Varna. Chernorizets Hrabar.
- Stoychev, N. (2016). Nasilieto. Psihologicheski analiz na mestoprestaplenieto [Violence. Psychological analysis of the scene of crime]. Sofia. Trud.
- Egorova, M., Sitnikova, M. & Parshikova,O. (2015). Adaptatsia korotkogo voprosnika temnoy triadы. Psihodignosticheskie issledovania, 8(43), 1. http//psystudy.ru/index.php/num/2015v8n43/1181-egorova43.html Data na dostap do sayta:14.06.2018 g.
- Butcher, J. N. & Williams, C. L. (1992). Essentials of MMPI-2 and MMPI-A interpretation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Flynn, S., Reichard, M., & Slane, S. (1987). Cheating as a function of task outcome and machiavellianism. The Journal of Psychology, 121 (5), 423-427.
- Gao, Y. & Reine, A. (2010). Successful and unsuccessful psychopaths: a neurobiological model. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 28, 194 – 210.
- Lilienfeld, S. O. & Widows, M. R. (2005). Psychopathic personality inventory – Revised: Professional manual. Lutz, Florida: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.
- McHoskey, J. W., Worzel, W. & Szyarto, C. (1998). Machiavellianism and Psychopathy. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 192-210.
- Paulhus, D. L. & Williams, K. M. (2002). The dark triad of personality: Narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy. Journal of Research on Personality, 36, 556-566
- Penney, L. M. & Spector, P. E. (2002). Narcissism and counterproductive work behavior: Do bigger egos mean bigger problems? International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 10, 126-134.
- Ray, J. J. & Ray, J. A. (1982). Some apparent advantages of subclinical psychopathy. The Journal of Social Psychology, 117, 135-142.
- Skinner, N. F. (1988). Personality correlates of Machiavellianism: Machiavellianism and the psychopath. Social Behavior and Personality, 16(1), 33-37.