How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This article presents the so-called “hierarchical perspective” on consumer innovativeness based on the models of Midgley & Dowling (1978) and Hirschman (1980). An excerpt of 1106 respondents is used, aged 20 to 65 years, randomly selected. The results of the conducted analyses confirm on an empirical level the hierarchical model of the construct in the context of the Bulgarian consumer. In particular, there are statistically significant links between the three levels of consumer innovativeness (inherent, vi- carious and adoptive). The vicarious innovativeness has a more significant impact on the adoptive innovativeness compared to the inherent innovativeness. Only two of its three dimensions (advertising and word of mouth) have predictive capacity with regards to the adoptive innovativeness. Also, the vicarious innovativeness acts as a mediating factor in the causal relationship between the inherent and adoptive innovativeness. In addition, the article offers an interpretation of the results in view of the leading theoretical statements and research in the field.
- Alkailani, M. & R. Kumar (2016). Impacting Innovativeness: The Role of Interpersonal Influences and Cultural Dimensions on Consumer Innovativeness. Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability, vol. 11, No. 1, 62-78.
- Bass, F. (1969). A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables. Management Science, vol. 15, 215-227.
- Chakrabarti, S. & R. Baisya (2009). Purchase of Organic Food: Role of Consumer Innovativeness and PersonalInfluence Related Constructs. Management Review,vol. 21, No. 1, 18-29.
- Chao, G. (2010). Innnovation and Consumer innovativeness, Disertation, Cardiff University, United Kingdom.
- Chao, C., Reid, M. & F. Mavondo (2012). Consumer Innovativeness Influence on Really New Product Adoption. Australasian Marketing Journal, vol. 20, No. 3, 211-217.
- Chao, C., Reid, M. & F. Mavondo (2013). Global Consumer Innovativeness and Consumer electronic Product Adoption. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, vol. 25, No. 4, 614-630.
- Chao, C., Reid, M. & Y. Hung (2016). Vicarious Innovativeness or Vicarious Learning: The Role of Existing Vicarious Innovativeness in New Product Purchase Intentions. Australasian Marketing Journal, vol. 24, No. 1, 87-92.
- Cialdini, R. (2001). Influence: Science and
- Practice(4th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Citrin, A., Sprott, D., Silverman, S. & J. Stem (2000) Adoption of Internet Shopping: The Role of Consumer Innovativeness. Industrial Management & Data Systems,vol. 100, 294-300.
- Foxll, G. (1995). The Consumer Situation As an Interpretive Device. E - European Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 2, 104-108.
- Foxall, G. (1995). Science and Interpretation in Consumer Research: A Radical Behaviorist Perspective. European Journal of Marketing, vol. 29, No. 9, 3-99.
- Foxall, G. & S. Bahate (1993). Cognitive Style and Personal Involvementas Explicators of Innovative Purchasing of „Healthy“ Food Brands. European Journal of Marketing, vol.27, No. 2, 5-16.
- Gilly, M., Graham, J., Wolfinbarger, M. &
- L. Yale (1998). A Dyadic Study of Interpersonal in Formation Search. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 26 (Spring), 83–100.
- Goldsmith, R. & C. Hofacker (1991). Measuring Consumer Innovativeness. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 19, No. 3, 209-221.
- Goldsmith, R., Freiden, J. & J. Eastman (1995). The Generality/Specificity Issuein Consumer Innovativeness Research, Technovation, vol. 15, No. 10, 601-613.
- Hayes, A. (2013). Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression‐Based Approach. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Hircshman, E. (1980). Innovativeness, Novelty Seeking, and Consumer Creativity. Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 7, No. 3 (December), 283-295.
- Hirschman, E. & B. Stern(2001). Do Consumers’ Genes Influence Their Behavior? Findingson Novelty Seeking and Compulsive Consumption. Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 28, 403-410.
- Hirunyawipada, T. & A. Paswan (2006). Consumer Innovativeness and Perceived risk: Implications for High Technology Product adoption. Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 23, No. 4, 182-198.
- Hurt, H., Joseph, K. & C. Cook (1977). Scales for the Measurement of Innovativeness. Human Communication Research, vol. 4, No. 1, 58-65.
- Hynes, N. & S. Lo (2006). Innovativeness and Consumer Involvement in the Chinese Market. Singapore Management Review, vol. 28, No. 2, 31-46.
- Im, S., Bayus, B. & C. Mason (2003). An Empirical Study of Innate Consumer Innovativeness, Personal Characteristics, and New-Product Adoption Behavior. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 31, No. 1, 61-73.
- Im, S., Mason, C. & M. Houston (2007). Does Innate Consumer Innovativeness Relate to New Product / Service Adoption Behavior? The Intervening Role of Sociallearningvia Vicarious Innovativeness. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 35, No. 1, 63-75.
- Jeims, M. (2016). Personality and Innovation. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, vol. 71, 861-883.
- Klonglan, G. & E. Coward (1970). The Concept of Symbolic Adoption: A Suggested Interpretation, Rural Sociology, vol. 35, No. 1, 77-83.
- Lassar, W., Manolis, C. & S. Lasar (2005). The Relation ship between Consumer Innovativeness, Personal Characteristics, and Online Banking Adoption. Journal of Bank Marketing, vol. 23, No. 2, 176-199.
- Lee, B. (2016). Innovation, Innovativeness and Personality. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
- Lee, E., Lee, J. & D. Schumann (2002).The Influence of Communication Source and Mode on Consumer Adoption of Technological Innovations. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, vol. 36, No. 1, 1-27.
- Lee, K., Khan, S. & D. Mirchandani (2013). Hierarchical Effects of Product Attributes on Actualized Innovativeness in the Context of High-Tech Products. Journal of Business Research, vol. 66, No.12, 2634-2641.
- Leicht, T., Chtourou, A. & K. Ben Youssef (2018). Consumer Innovativeness and Intentioned Autonomous Car adoption. Journal of High Technology Management Research, vol. 29, No. 1, 1–11.
- Lim, H. & J. Park (2013). The Effects of National Culture and Cosmopolitanism on Consumers’ Adoption of Innovation: A Cross-Cultural Comparison. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, vol. 25, No. 1, 16–28.
- Limayem, M., Khalifa, M. & A. Frini (2000). What Makes Consumers Buyfrom Internet? A Longitudinal Study of Online Shopping. IEEE Transactionson Systems, Man&Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans, vol. 30, No. 4, 421-432.
- Lyu, J., Hahn, K. & A. Sadachar (2018). Understanding Millennial Consumer’s adoption of 3D Printed Fashion Products by Exploring Personal Values and Innovativeness. Fashion and Textiles, vol. 5, No. 11, 2-24.
- Mahajan, V., Muller, E. & A. Kerin (1984). Introduction Strategy for New Products with Positive and Negative Wordof Mouth. Management Science, vol. 30, No. 12 (December), 1389-1404.
- Manning, K., Bearden, W. & T. Madden (1995). Consumer Innovativeness and the Adoption Process. Journal of Consumer Psychology, vol. 4, No. 4, 329-345.
- Medina, J. & P. Michaels(1991). The Impact of Modernization on Consumer Innovativeness in a Developing Market. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, vol. 3, No. 4, 99-121.
- Midgley, D. & G. Dowling (1978). Innovativeness: The Concept and Its Measurement. Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 4, No. 4, 229-242.
- Midgley, D. & G. Dowling(1993). A Longitudinal Study of Product from Innovation: The Interaction between Predispositions and Social Messages. Journal of Consumers Research, vol. 19, No. 4 (March), 611-625.
- Morton, C., Anable, J. & D. Nelson (2016). Exploring Consumer Preferences towards Electric Vehicles: The Influence of Consumer Innovativeness. Research in Transportation Business & Management, vol. 18, 18-28.
- Murray, K.(1991). A Test of Services Marketing Theory: Consumer Information Acquisition a Ctivities. Journal of Marketing, vol. 55, No. 1, 10-25.
- Nasution, R. & N. Astuti (2013). Consumer Innovativeness Model of Indonesian Young People in Adopting Electronic Products. ASEAN Marketing Journal, vol. 4, No. 1, 1-12.
- Prins, R. & C. Verhoef (2007). Marketing Communication Drivers of Adoption Timing of a New E-Service Among Existing Customers. Journal of Marketing, vol. 71 (April), 169-183.
- Rawstorne, P., Jayasuriya, R. & P. Caputi (1998). AnIntegrative Model of Information Systems Usein Mandatory Environments. Proceeding of International Conference on Information Systems. Helsinki, Finland, 325-330.
- Roehrich, G. (2004). Consumer Innovativeness. Concepts and Measurements. Journal of Business Research, vol. 57, No. 6, 671-677.
- Rogers, E. (2003). Diffusion of Innovations(5th ed.). New York: FreePress.
- Rogers E. & F. Shoemaker (1971). Communication of Innovations (2nd, ed.). New York: The Free Press.
- Solomon, M. (2017). Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having and Being (12th ed). Pearson Education.
- Spence, W. (1994). The Communication of ChangeinIdeas, Practicesand Products. London: Chapman & Hall.
- Steenkamp, E., Hofstede, F. & M. Wedel (1999). A Cross-National Investigation Into. The Individual and National Cultural Antecedents of Consumer Innovativeness. Journal of Marketing, vol. 63, No. 2(April), 55-69.
- Steenkamp, J. & K. Gielens (2003). Consumer and Market Drivers of the Trial Probability of New Consumer Packaged Goods. Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 30, No. 3(December), 368-384.
- Venkatraman, M. & L. Price (1990). Differentiating Between Cognitive and Sensory Innovativeness: Concepts, Measurement, and Implications. Journal of Business Research, vol. 20, No. 4, 293-315.
- Verleye, G. & L. Marez (2005). Diffusion of Innovation: Success ful Adoption Needs More Effective Soft-DSS Driven Targeting. Journal of Targeting, vol. 13, 140-155.
- Wood, S. & J. Swait (2002). Psychological Indicators of Innovation Adoption: Cross-Classification Basedon Need for Cognition and Need for Change. Journal of Consumer Psychology, vol. 12, No. 1, 1-13.
- Zhang, R., Lee, G. & Z. Sun (2014). Relation ship between Consumer Innovativeness and Internet Banking Acceotance. International Conference on Management Science & Engineering, 21 th Annual Conference Proceedings, 308-314.