Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire – 4-16 years (parental form) - preliminary Results for a Bulgarian Sample of Pupils on the parental data
- emotional and behavioral problems,
- children and pre-adolescents,
- factorial strucrure of SDQ,
- internal consistency
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The article presents the results of an experimental study of students I – Vth grade (N = 153), in which, among other methods, it was applied the „Strengths and difficulties“ questionnaire parental form. Based on the review of existing studies applied this questionnaire in other countries, a comparative analysis has been accomplished and the results obtained are analyzed in correspondence with some of them. An exploratory analysis confirmed the 5-factor structure of the questionnaire, similar to the original English version. The obtained values of the internal reliability coefficients for the individual scales as well as for the overall difficulty scale (Cronbach’s a = .705) are satisfactory. The average values of the questionnaire are close to those of the English sample, with a tendency towards slightly higher average values both on the total score and on the scores of most scales. The thresholds of the values of the total assessment for both the whole sample and for the individual age groups are also presented. Despite the small sample, the obtained data can be used to further validate the parent form of the questionnaire and confirm its use as a good skinning tool in our country.
- Alexandrova B., Bogdanova E. (2008). Samootsenka na umstvenoto I psikhichno zdrave pri yunoshi na 11, 13 I 15 godini [Self-reported mental and psychological health in adolescents aged 11, 13 and 15 years]. Bulgarian Journal of Psychology, 1-4, Sbornik nauchni dokladi ot V-ti natsionalen kongres po psikhologiya, 835-842, ISSN 0861-7813.
- Alexandrova B., Bogdanova E. (2011). Prouchvane na razlichni aspekti na psikhichnoto zdrave I blagopoluchie v yunosheska vzrast – II chast [Different aspects of mental health and well-beeng in adolescents – II part], Psychological Research, vol. 1, 37-46, ISSN 13114700.
- Dyulgerova M. (2011). Roditelstvane I psikhichno zdrave pri detsa v nachalna uchilischna vzrast . [Parenting and mental health in children in the first school years] Bulgarian Journal of Psychology, 1-4, Sbornik nautsni dokladi ot VI-ti natsionalen kongres po psikhologiya, 697-701, ISSN 0861-7813.
- Kalchev P., Darmoneva E. (2008). Skriningova otsenka na gotovnost za obuchenie I problemi na razvitieto predi postpvane na uchilische – prognostichna validnost v kraya na purvi klas [Screening assessment of school readiness and developmental problems prior entering school – prognostic validity in the end of the first school year] . Bulgarian Journal of Psychology, 1-4, Sbornik nautsni dokladi ot V-ti natsionalen kongres po psikhologiya, 247-254, ISSN 0861-7813.
- Becker A., H. C. Steinhausen, G. Baldursson, S. Dalsgaard, M. J. Lorenzo, S. J. Ralston, M. Dopfner, A. Rothenberger, (2006). Psychopathological screening of children with ADHD: Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in a pan-European study, European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 15, 1: 56–62.
- Björnsdotter, Enebrink, P. & Ghaderi, A. (2013). Psychometric properties of online administered parental strengths and difficulties questionnaire (SDQ), and normative data based on combined online and paper-and-pencil administration. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 7-40.
- Bourdon, K. H., Goodman, R., Rae, D. S., Simpson, G., Koretz, D. S. (2005). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: U.S. Normative Data and Psychometric Properties, J.Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry 44, 6: 557–564.
- Di Riso, D., Salcuni, S., Chessa, D., Raudino, A., Lis, A., Altoe, G. (2010). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ). Early evidence of its reliability and validity in a community sample of Italian children, Personality and Individual Differences 49, 570–575.
- Dickey, W.C., Blumberg, S.J. (2004). Revisiting the factor structure of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: United States, 2001. J Am Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry 43:1159– 1167.
- Giannakopoulos, G., Dimitrakaki, Ch., Papadopoulou, K., Tzavara, Ch., Kolaitis, G., Ravens-Sieberer, U., Tountas, Y., et al. (2013). Reliability and validity of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in Greek adolescents and their parents. Health, 5: 1774-1783.
- Goodman, A., Lamping, D., Ploubidis, G. B. (2010). When to Use Broader Internalising and Externalising Subscales Instead of the Hypothesised Five Subscales on the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ): Data from British Parents, Teachers and Children. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 38, 8: 1179-91.
- Goodman, R. (1997). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: A Research Note. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 38:581– 586.
- Goodman, R. (2001). Psychometric properties of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 40(11):1337-1345.
- Klasen, H., Woerner, W., Wolke, D., Meyer, R., Overmeyer, S., Kaschnitz, W., Rothenberger, A., Goodman, R. (2000). Comparing the German Versions of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ-Deu) and the Child Behavior Checklist, European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry vol.9, No.4, 271-276.
- Klasen, H., Woerner, W., Rothenberger, A., Goodman, R. (2003). German version of the Strength and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ-German) – overview and evaluation of initial validation and normative results. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr 52: 491–502.
- Koskelainen, M., Sourander, A., Kaljonen, A. (2000). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire among Finnish school-aged children and adolescents. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 9:277-284.
- Koskelainen, M., Sourander, A., Vauras, M. (2001). Self-reported strengths and difficulties in a community sample of Finnish adolescents. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 10:180–185.
- Malmberg, M., Rydel, l A. M., Smedje, H. (2003). Validity of the Swedish version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ Swe). Nord J Psychiatry 57:357–363.
- Mathai, J., Anderson, P., Bourne, A. (2004). Comparing psychiatric diagnoses generated by the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire with diagnoses made by clinicians. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:639–643.
- McCrory, C., Layte, R. (2012). Testing competing models of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire’s (SDQ’s) factor structure for the parent-informant instrument. Personality and Individual Differences 52: 882–887.
- Muris, P., Meesters, C., Van Der Berg, F. (2003). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire SDQ) Furder evidence for its reliability and validity in a community sample of Dutch children and adolescents. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 12:1-8.
- Ronning, J. A., Handergaard, B. H., Sourander, A., Morch, W. T. (2004). The Strenghts and Difficulties self-report Questionnaire as a screening instrument in Norwegian community samples. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 17: 73-82.
- Smedje, H., Broman, J. E., Hetta, J., von Knorring, A. L. (1999). Psychometric properties of a Swedish version of the “Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire”. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 8: 63-70.
- Stone, L. L., Otten, R., Engels, R. C. M., Vermulst, A. A., Janssens, J. M. (2010). Psychometric Properties of the Parent and Teacher Versions of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire for 4- to 12-Year-Olds: A Review, Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 13:254–274.
- Tobia, V., Marzocchi, G. M. (2017). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire-Parents for Italian School-Aged Children: Psychometric Properties and Norms. Child Psychiatry & Human Development, DOI 10.1007/s10578-017-0723-2.
- Van Widenfelt, B., Goedhart, A., Treffers, P., Goodman, R. (2003). Dutch version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ). European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 12:281-289. www.sdqinfo.com Information for researchers and professionals about the Strengths & Difficulties Questionnaires.
- Woerner, W., Fleitllich-Bilyk, B., Martinussen, R. (2004). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire overseas: evaluation and applications of the SDQ beyond Europe. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 13, 2: 47–54.