- ethnic prejudice,
- changing stereotypes,
- impact of art
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The article presents an empirical study testing experimentally to what extent good documentary films can serve as a tool for influencing deeply rooted beliefs and attitudes towards the Roma. The study is based on a rare experiment involving students and a series of discussions with teachers that fit into the theory and tradition of deliberation for internal and external change. The main conclusion is that the strong professional message of the cinema makes a positive shift in the attitudes towards the equal integration of the Roma. The film “Bread and Circuses” from director Jackie Stoev provides an example how negative attitudes of young people towards one of the most stigmatized groups in Bulgarian society can be overturned.
- Yordanov, I. (2006). “Equal in ignorance - different in competence, results from the first “Reasonable Referendum” held in the captial, Politiki Magazine, Open Society Institute - Sofia, Sofia, June, 2006. (in Bulgarian).
- Yordanov, I. et al (2001). ‘Youth Deliberative Forum - Presidential Elections 2001’, National Student Association of Political Science, Sofia. (in Bulgarian).
- Hristov, S. (2001). “The Deliberative Model and the Deliberative Forum in Bulgaria” in Yordanov, I. and co-authors (2001), “Youth Deliberative Forum - Presidential Elections 2001”, National Student Association of Political Science, Sofia. . (in Bulgarian).
- Blommaert, J. & Verschueren, J. (1998). Debating diversity. Analyzing the discourse of tolerance, Routledge, London.
- Cartasev, S., (2006). One World: Teaching Tolerance and Participation, IDEBATE Press, New York.
- Fishkin, J. (1993). ‘Democracy and Deliberation: New Directions for Democratic Reform’, New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
- Furin, T. (2009). Combating Hatred: Educators Leading the Way, Rowman & Littlefield Education, Lanham.
- Kite, M. E. (2016). Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination. Routledge.
- Levi, S. & Hughes, J. (2009). ‘Development of Racial and Ethnic Prejudice among Children’, in Nelson, T., ed., Handbook of Prejudice, Streotyping and Discrimination, Taylor & Francis Group, pp. 23-42.
- Luskin, R., Fishkin, J. (1999). “Deliberative Polling and Policy Outcomes: Electric Utility Issues in Texas”, Dennis L. Plane.
- Paula, B., Bertram, G. & Victoria, E. (2008). Cognitive consistency and the relation between implicit and explicit prejudice: Reconceptualizing old-fashioned, modern, and aversive prejudice. In The psychology of modern prejudice.
- Schauer, F. F. (2003). Profiles, probabilities, and stereotypes. Cambridge, Mass: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- Stangor, C. (2009). ‘The Study of Stereotyping, Prejudice, and Discrimination Within Social Psychology: A Quick History of Theory and Research’ in C. Nelson, T., ed., Handbook of Prejudice, Streotyping and Discrimination, Taylor & Francis Group.