FOR A NEW MIGRATION POLICY TOWARDS THE HISTORICAL BULGARIAN COMMUNITIES AFTER THE COVID-19 CRISIS AND THE WAR IN UKRAINE
- historical Bulgarian diaspora,
- seasonal and weekly migrations,
- war in Ukraine,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This article examines the migrations to Bulgaria of representatives of the historical Bulgarian diaspora before and after the Covid-19 crisis and during the military conflict in Ukraine in 2022. For the group as a whole, it is found that at this time, due to the short distances, the preference is for seasonal, weekly and, among the population residing along border areas, for daily job commutes. Although Ukrainian Bulgarians account for 9.25 % of the total number of Ukrainian refugees in Bulgaria, the majority of the community remains at home. However, the planned land reform in Ukraine could alter the migration model and increase the number of those who wish to settle in Bulgaria for a longer period of time and remain permanently. For this reason, Bulgaria should develop a special program to aid the returning Bulgarian migrations from Ukraine.
- Бесарабските българи не бягат към България, приемат изселници от други райони на Украйна. [Besarabskite balgari ne byagat kam Bulgaria, priemat izselnitsi ot drugi rayoni na Ukrayna. Bessarabian Bulgarians do not flee to Bulgaria, accept expatriates from other regions of Ukraine]. 17.10.2022. https://www.bgonair.bg/a/36-sutreshen-blok/282467-besarabskite-balgari-ne-byagat-kam-balgariya-priemat-izselnitsi-ot-drugi-rayoni-na-ukrayna] (In Bulgarian)
- Мерки за преодоляване на демографската криза в Република България. [Merki za preodolyavane na demografskata kriza v Republika Bulgaria. Politiki za balgarite v chuzhbina. Izdatelstvo na BAN “Prof. Marin Drinov”, 2020. s. 322. Measures to overcome the demographic crisis in the Republic of Bulgaria. Policies for Bulgarians Abroad. Publishing house of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences “Prof. Marin Drinov”, 2020. p. 322]. (In Bulgarian)
- Национална стратегия за българските граждани и историческите български общности по света. [Natsionalna strategia za balgarskite grazhdani i istoricheskite Balgarski obshtnosti po sveta. Prieta s Reshenie No 30.41 na Ministerskia Savet ot 23.7.2014 g. National Strategy for Bulgarian Citizens and Historic Bulgarian Communities around the World. Adopted by Council of Ministers Decision No 30.41 of 23 July 2014]. https://www.strategy.bg/StrategicDocuments/View.aspx?Id=938] (In Bulgarian)
- Operational data portal Ukraine refugee situation. 13.12.2022. https://data.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine
- THE UNHCR. Ukraine refugee situation. Operational update. Bulgaria. 05 August 2022. p. 7. file:///C:/Users/S/Downloads/External%20Ukraine%20Refugee%20Situation%20Operational%20Update_Bulgaria.pdf
- Завръщане в България. [Zavrashtane v Bulgaria: “Prieha ni mnogo dobre tuk, nishto losho ne mozhem da kazhem”. Return to Bulgaria: “They took us very well here, there’s nothing wrong we can say”]. 12.06.2022. https://p.dw.com/p/4Ca3H] (In Bulgarian)