ADAPTATION OF A EMOTION REGULATION COMPETENCY INVENTORY
- Emotion Regulation
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Psychological Research (in the Balkans)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Paper presents data for the adaptation of the Perth Emotion Regulation Competency Inventory (PERCI) which show a good, relatively stable factor structure of the eight subscales and the three aggregate scales, as well as good reliability (Cronbach's Alpha> 0, 70). The obtained results for the personal correlates of the experiential and behavioral components of emotional regulation are theoretically expected in the context of the views of Epstein (2014), Higgins (2012), Gross (2015b) and confirm the validity of the instrument:
- positive relationship between individual differences in negative and positive emotional regulation;
- difficulties in regulating negative emotions are associated with higher levels of stress;
- the higher negative emotional reactivity is associated with more difficulties in regulating negative emotions, and the weaker positive emotional reactivity is associated with more difficulties in regulating positive emotions;
- the preference for rational processing is associated with less difficulty in regulating emotions;
- the more pronounced promotional or preventive focus is associated with fewer difficulties in positive, negative and general emotional regulation;
- the stronger fear of negative evaluation as an individual difference is associated with more difficulties in emotional regulation.
The lack of connection between the studied variables (regulatory focus, preference for rational or experiential processing of information and fear of negative evaluation) and the components of tolerance of negative and positive emotions presupposes additional research.
- Avrelii, M. (1986). To yourself. Sofia: Folk Culture. [Trans. Prof. B. Bogdanov]. (in Bulgarian).
- Ellis, A., MacLaren, C. (2005). Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy: A Therapist Guide. 2nd Ed. Atascadero, CA: Impact.
- Epstein, S. (2014). Cognitive-experiential Theory: An integrative theory of personality. Oxford University Press.
- Graver, М. (2007). Stoicism & emotion. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Gross, J. J. (1998). The emerging field of emotion regulation: An integrative review. Review of General Psychology. 2(3): 271-299.
- Gross, J.J. (2015a). Emotion regulation: Current status and future prospects. Psychological Inquiry, 26, 1-26.
- Gross, J.J. (2015b). The extended process model of emotion regulation: Elaborations, applicationsq dnd future directions. Psychological Inquiry, 26, 130-137.
- Higgins, E. (2012). Beyond pleasure and pain. How motivation works. Oxford University Press.
- Hristova, A., Karastoyanov, G. (2021). Stres i spravyaneto s nego po vreme na parvata valna ot COVID-19 v Bulgaria. [Stress and coping strategies with it during the first wave of COVID-19 in Bulgaria]. Psychological Research, Volume 24, Number 1, 5-22. ISSN 1311-4700 (PrintI); ISSN 2367-9174 (Online), (in Bulgarian).
- John, O. P., & Eng, J. (2014). Three approaches to individual differences in affect regulation: Conceptualizations, measures, and findings. In J. J. Gross (Ed.). Handbook of emotion regulation (2nd ed.), New York, NY: Guilford. 321-345.
- Karastoyanov G. (2018). Individual Differences in Decision Making. Sofia: Iztok-Zapad. (in Bulgarian).
- Karastoyanov, G., Rusinova-Hristova, A. (2000). Bulgarian version of the Perceived Stress Scale. Psychological Research, 1 – 2, 67 – 77. (in Bulgarian).
- Karastoyanov, G., Rusinova-Hristova, A. (2015). Stress and coping from the perspective of cognitive-experiential theory. Psychological and pedagogical knowledge in the modern context - theory and practice. Samara: Abris, s. 47-61. (in Bulgarian).
- Leary, M. R. (1983). A brief version of the Fear of Negative Evaluation Scale. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 9, 371-375.
- Milusheva, Zh. (2019). Emotional regulation and behavior in virtual networks. [Author's abstract for PhD scientific supervisor Prof. Ph.D.Sc. Irina Zinovieva]. Soph. Univ. "St. Kliment Ohridski", Faculty of Philosophy, Department of "General, Experimental, Developmental and Health Psychology". (in Bulgarian).
- Pigliucci, M. (2021). A Short Guide to the Inner Citadel.: On Pierre Hadot’s Classic Analysis of Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations. Apple Books. https://books.apple.com/us/book/a-short-guide-to-the-inner-citadel-on-pierre/id1576612394
- Preece, D. A., Becerra, R., Robinson, K., Dandy, J., & Allan, A. (2018). Measuring emotion regulation ability across negative and positive emotions: The Perth Emotion Regulation Competency Inventory (PERCI). Personality and Individual Differences, 135, 229-241.
- Robinson, D. (2018). The Philosophy of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Stoic Philosophy as rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy. Routledge.
- Rusinova-Hristova, A., Karastoyanov, G. (2000). Carl Jung's psychological types and stress. Sofia: Propeller. (in Bulgarian).
- Vasilev, Y. (2017). Adaptation of the Emotional Regulation Questionnaire (ERQ) in the Bulgarian sociocultural context. Challenges and perspectives for modern psychology, International scientific conference June 2-3, 2017 [I. Zinovieva, S. Karabelova, M. Milenov (Ed.)]. Sofia: Univ. ed. "St. Kliment Ohridski". (in Bulgarian).
- Velichkov, A., Ivanova, A. (1986). Patterns of adaptation to stress AIAV 86-2 (unpublished manuscript). (in Bulgarian).